An Annotated Bibliography on Structural Racism Present in the U.S. Food System: Fourth Edition
This annotated bibliography provides current research and outreach on structural racism in the U.S. food system for the food system practitioner, researcher, and educator. Structural racism in the United States has been defined as the “normalization and legitimization of an array of dynamics—historical, cultural, institutional, and interpersonal—that routinely advantage whites while producing cumulative and chronic outcomes for people of color.”
This resources identifies literature that links the social construction of whiteness and its intentional or consequential impact on structural racism within the United States’ local food movement. It is focused on recent peer-reviewed and gray literature* materials that are national, regional, and local in scope that included significant references.
This fourth edition contains more than 50 new citations.
This guide is authored by:
- Anel Guel, Former Graduate Student, MSU Department of Community Sustainability
- Jane Henderson, 2016 Summer Research Opportunities Program Intern at MSU
- Rich Pirog, Director, MSU Center for Regional Food Systems, Department of Community Sustainability
- Rachel Kelly, Research Assistant, MSU Center for Regional Food Systems, Department of Community Sustainability
- Taylor Wimberg, Graduate Student, MSU Department of Community Sustainability
To share feedback or suggest a resource for the next edition of this publication, please contact Rich Pirog at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Gray literature is the general name for scholarly or substantive information produced outside traditional commercial publishing and distribution channels. Common publication types include: theses and dissertations; technical reports; working papers; evaluation reports; conference proceedings; publications from NGOs, INGOs, think tanks and policy institutes; patent, and preprints.
Author(s): Anel Guel, Jane Henderson, Rich Pirog, Rachel Kelly, Taylor Wimberg
Date: February 13, 2017