Michigan Food Hub Learning and Innovation Network
Food hubs are centrally located facilities with a business management structure facilitating the aggregation, storage, processing, distribution, and/or marketing of locally/regionally food products (USDA-AMS working definition).
The Michigan Food Hub Learning and Innovation Network is led by CRFS in collaboration with Morse Marketing Connections, LLC, and the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (MDARD). A two-page information sheet on the Michigan Food Hub Network is available for viewing on the CRFS website.
The network facilitates:
- increased learning, innovation, and profitability for participating food hubs
- increased access to food hub financial and technical assistance, research, and education
- increased business-to-business collaboration across food hubs.
Michigan Food Hub Feasibility Reports
- A Feasibility Report for a Food Hub: Serving a 14 County Region of Northwest Michigan, prepared by Development Economics, LLC
- Grand Traverse Regional Market Feasibility Study, prepared by Market Ventures, Inc.
- Galesburg Food Hub Feasibility Study, guided by the Galesburg Regional Economic Development Association and conducted by J3 Concepts
National-Michigan Food Hub Connection
The National Food Hub Collaboration is a partnership between Wallace Center at Winrock International, USDA, National Good Food Network and others. The Collaboration is working to ensure the success of existing and emerging food hubs in the U.S. by building capacity through connection, outreach, research, technical assistance and partnerships. The Michigan Food Hub Learning and Innovation Network will partner with the National Food Hub Collaboration in connecting Michigan food hubs and other regional food businesses with educational, technical and financial resources and expertise available across the country. The two co-leaders of the Michigan network also serve on the core team of the National Food Hub Collaboration.
Primary financial support for the Michigan Food Hub Learning and Innovation Network is provided by The Kresge Foundation and the W.K. Kellogg Foundation.
Michigan Food Hub Press Coverage
- Local food in local mouths: U.P. food hubs to be created in the Upper Peninsula's Second Wave, March 13, 2013