Production Manager Position Announcement MSU Student Organic Farm, Department of Horticulture, College of Agriculture and Natural Resources
November 28, 2016
The Michigan State University Student Organic Farm (SOF) is seeking a Production Manager for its 15-acre certified organic year-round teaching farm. The candidate must be positive, hard-working, self-directed, energetic, and enjoy working collaboratively with other farm staff, students, and faculty. Additionally, the candidate must have three years of organic farming experience with progressively increasing management experience. Candidates with five years of organic farming experience and three years of management experience are preferred.
MSU SOF produce markets include a 48-week vegetable CSA program (110 shares), a 7-month on-campus farm stand, contracts to MSU campus dining, and other external wholesale accounts. The main production focus is on vegetables, fruits, and flowers and on year-round production using passive solar greenhouses (hoophouses). The SOF is a dynamic working and teaching farm that includes educational opportunities for MSU undergraduate students as well as participants in the Organic Farmer Training Program and Farmer Field School. The SOF Production Manager will be responsible for the overall production of crops for all markets and supervision of undergraduate crew members. This person will work with the Farm Manager/Director, other farm staff, and undergraduate crew members to facilitate the farm’s production.
Preferred candidates must:
- Be highly skilled in mechanized/field production, including tillage, planting, and cultivation
- Have at least 5 or more years of organic farming experience, including at least 3 years of management experience
- Have construction, equipment maintenance, and general handy-person skills
- Be self-motivated and hard-working
- Be able to initiate and execute tasks autonomously
- Have a commitment to working with undergraduate students to further their learning around farming systems
- Work well in a collaborative and team environment that encourages autonomy and leadership
- Have a positive, enthusiastic, and supportive attitude
- Have excellent communication skills
- Have the ability to gracefully handle a dynamic work environment
This position may require:
- Valid vehicle operator's license where needed to perform duties of the position
- Other skills and/or physical abilities required to perform duties of the position, including frequent lifting of 50lb or more
- Knowledge of basic personal computer terminology and operations, and the ability to use e-mail and the Internet prior to the completion of the probationary period
Compensation: Range of compensation: $37,000-$43,000. This position includes benefits. Hours will vary depending on season, with increased hours and overtime expected during summer and fall months and decreased hours in the winter and spring.
Visit MSU HR website at http://www.jobs.msu.edu
Apply for posting 4475
Applications accepted through December 13 or until position is filled.
Start date January 9, 2017. Negotiable.
Please contact Denae Friedheim with questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
MSU is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
The College of Agriculture and Natural Resources at Michigan State University is committed to achieving excellence by creating and sustaining an accessible and inclusive culture that values diversity. We are an equal opportunity / affirmative action employer.
MSU enjoys a park-like campus with outlying research facilities and natural areas. The campus is located in the city of East Lansing, adjacent to the capital city of Lansing. The Lansing metropolitan area has a diverse population of approximately 450,000. Local communities have excellent school systems and place a high value on education. The University is proactive about its obligations under the Americans with Disability Act, and provides individual accessibility plans to students and employees with disabilities, and respects all family forms.