Michigan Food Hub Learning and Innovation Network
- Rich Pirog co-convener
- Succeeding with Food Hubs: Financial Planning and Food Safety Webinar (slides)
- Succeeding with Food Hubs: Financial Planning and Food Safety Webinar (recording)
- Michigan Food Hub Network Information Sheet
- Michigan Food Hub Network Facilitator Bios
- Understanding Challenges and Opportunities in Minnesota's Local Meat Industry Webinar (recording)
- Understanding Challenges and Opportunities in Minnesota's Local Meat Industry (slides)
- Michigan Food Hub Network Webinar: Colorado & Iowa (recording)
- Michigan Food Hub Network Webinar: Colorado & Iowa (slides)
- Regional Food Systems & Food Hubs Interview
- Food Hub Benchmarking Study & 2013 National Survey Webinar
- Michigan Food Hubs Interview
- Findings of the 2013 National Food Hub Survey
- Michigan Food Hub Network Facilitators Map
- Michigan Food Hub Points of Contact
- Food Hub Zoning and Michigan Growth Initiative Webinar (slides)
- Food Hub Zoning and Michigan Growth Initiative Webinar (recording)
- Zoning Lessons Learned Regarding Food Hubs
- Financing Farms and Food Hubs Webinar
- Food Hubs and Food Safety Webinar, Part 1
- Food Hubs and Food Safety Webinar, Part 2
- Michigan Food Hub Network 12/13/12 Webinar: Intro
- Michigan Food Hub Network 12/13/12 Webinar: Lansing
- Michigan Food Hub Network 12/13/12 Webinar: Traverse City
- Michigan Food Hub Network 12/13/12 Webinar: Washtenaw County
- Michigan Food Hub Network 12/13/12 Webinar: MDARD Food System Grants
- Michigan Food Hub Network 12/13/12 Webinar: Detroit
- Food Hubs: An Overview Webinar
- The Kresge Foundation Adds Support to Developing Food Hub Network
CRFS seeks applicants for a position focused on food hubs and livestock supply chains; visit the News section for more detail.
Food Hubs and the Michigan Network
Food hubs are centrally located facilities with a business management structure facilitating the aggregation, storage, processing, distribution, and/or marketing of locally/regionally food products (USDA-AMS working definition).
The Michigan Food Hub Learning and Innovation Network is led by CRFS in collaboration with Morse Marketing Connections, LLC, and the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (MDARD). A two-page information sheet on the Michigan Food Hub Network is available here.
The network facilitates:
- increased learning, innovation, and profitability for participating food hubs
- increased access to food hub financial and technical assistance, research, and education
- increased business-to-business collaboration across food hubs.
Regional Food Hub Facilitators
Local/regional facilitators have been hired to assist in accomplishing the goals of the Michigan Food Hub Learning and Innovation Network. A map of the areas they cover can be found on a map and their bios and contact information are available here.
Michigan Food Hub Feasibility Reports
- A Feasibility Report for a Food Hub: Serving a 14 County Region of Northwest Michigan, prepared by Development Economics, LLC
- Grand Traverse Regional Market Feasibility Study, prepared by Market Ventures, Inc.
- Galesburg Food Hub Feasibility Study, guided by the Galesburg Regional Economic Development Association and conducted by J3 Concepts
National-Michigan Food Hub Connection
The National Food Hub Collaboration is a partnership between Wallace Center at Winrock International, USDA, National Good Food Network, and others. The Collaboration is working to ensure the success of existing and emerging food hubs in the U.S. by building capacity through connection, outreach, research, technical assistance and partnerships. The Michigan Food Hub Learning and Innovation Network will partner with the National Food Hub Collaboration in connecting Michigan food hubs and other regional food businesses with educational, technical, and financial resources and expertise available across the country. The two co-leaders of the Michigan network also serve on the core team of the National Food Hub Collaboration.
Primary financial support for the Michigan Food Hub Learning and Innovation Network is provided by the Kresge Foundation and the W.K. Kellogg Foundation.
Michigan Food Hub Press Coverage
- Local food in local mouths: U.P. food hubs to be created in the Upper Peninsula's Second Wave, March 13, 2013